- With home tasting kit
- Mon - Sat, 10 - 22 Jan 2022
- Webinar + home study, Online
- €255 (EUR)
Combined foundation and intermediate level course in Chocolate Tasting.
– Online home study course with tasting kit –
This course allows you to book the combined Level 1 and Level 2 online course for a special price.
Please see the individual courses for more details
Free shipping of your tasting kit for both courses is included within the EU, Switzerland, Norway and UK. There will be a surplus charge of €95 to receive the kits in other world regions.
Please note that there may be customs issues when sending our tasting kits to some countries, such as Japan, India, Russia and Thailand. Please contact us if you are from one of these countries or have concerns about import customs for your country. Examples of issues might include: only being able to send tasting kits to registered companies or in some locations we may only be able to send the chocolate samples in your tasting kit, not the aroma and taste samples.
New to fine chocolate?
If you are new to fine chocolate we suggest your first take our online ‘Introduction to Fine Chocolate‘ course, which is available before Level 1 starts. This will help you get up to speed with the basics of tasting, of what is fine chocolate, chocolate making basics and chocolate terminology. If you are already an experienced taster, chocolate maker, event organiser or otherwise working in the fine chocolate world, the introductory is not essential.
Level 1 Chocolate Tasting lays the sensory foundation for your journey as a Chocolate Taster, introduces chocolate making in the fine and craft chocolate world takes you through where cacao comes from and how it is produced.
During the course you will experience the sensory elements used in chocolate tasting through a series of tasting games and experiments and you will practice using a formal approach to chocolate tasting.
The Foundation course is designed to run over a single day workshop, as three evening class sessions or as three online webinar sessions plus self-study. Level 1 course provides a good grounding in chocolate tasting and includes tasting of 9 or more different origin or blended fine dark chocolate bars, tasted in different forms for an understanding of aroma, length, texture and taste. The chocolate tasted includes examples of well made craft chocolate origins and examples of defects and industrial production.
The course finishes with a 30 question multiple choice exam based on the course content. Certificates will be issued upon achieving a pass mark.
- Training the chocolate senses
- Taste and explore flavour in fine chocolate
- Introduction to the origins and varieties of cacao
- Overview of how cacao is produced
- How fine or craft chocolate is made
- How cocoa butter and cocoa powder are made
- Taste and recognize flaws in chocolate
- A look at direct sourcing of cacao
- Study booklet
- Certificate for exam passes
- All the chocolate and sensory samples you will need*
*Please note that there may be customs issues when sending our tasting kits to some countries, such as Japan, India, Russia and Thailand. Please contact us if you are from one of these countries or have concerns about import customs for your country. Examples of issues might include: only being able to send tasting kits to registered companies or in some locations we may only be able to send the chocolate samples in your tasting kit, not the aroma and taste samples.
This course will be ideal for you if you:
- Love chocolate, and want to know more about its flavour and origins
- Are a chocolate maker who wants to expand their sensory skills
- Are an educator or events organiser looking for more information to pass on to your audience
- Work in the catering/pastry/fine chocolate industries
- Want to improve your clients’ experience of chocolate you are working with
- You are considering launching a fine chocolate business
- You want to buy a fascinating and unique gift for someone
- You want to see just how good your palate is for chocolate