- 1 day
- Thu - Thu, 19 Nov 2020 - 17 Dec 2020
- Webinar + home study, Online
- £195 (GBP)
Foundation level course in Chocolate Tasting.
– Online home study with tasting kit –
We are now offering our Level 1 Chocolate Tasting course as an online option alongside our regular classroom offering.
Level 1 will be offered as a flexible program with home study, including your own home tasting kit, combined with online live webinars to help guide you through the essentials of tasting and understanding cacao and chocolate.
Complete tasting kit
Your Level 1 online tasting kit includes:
- All the chocolate you will need for the course
- Examples of award-winning chocolate as well as examples of defects for comparison
- Aroma and taste samples to help develop your sensory skills
- 6 craft chocolate bars
- 2 couverture samples for sensory training
- Samples of ‘not so great chocolate’ for understanding defects!
- Your IICCT Level 1 course book
SHIPPING: The course fee includes free shipping with the EU, Switzerland, Norway and UK. There will be a surplus charge for other world regions. Please get in touch with us for details. (Full world region prices will be available soon.)
Level 1 online will include three 1.5 – 2 hour webinars with lectures, group tasting and Q&A and a chance to network with your fellow students.
The webinars will be on dates between 19 November and 17 December 2020 with the timings coordinated to work best to suit all students. The webinars will be repeated on different dates, depending on demand. If you miss any of the webinar sessions or can’t make the times, you can watch a recording of the session online. Zoom will be used for the webinars, which is secure as long as you have the latest software version.
You will also have the chance for home study and tasting between the webinars to hone your skills and knowledge and to enjoy the chocolate samples.
The course will be examined online and will be moderated by one of our Institute assessors to our usual standards as an accredited FDQ Learning Centre. The course fee includes the cost of the exam registration. No reduction is offered in the event of not passing the course and retakes will be charged at £60 for each level.
Level 1 takes you through the basics of what is fine chocolate and the sensory elements used in chocolate tasting.
The Foundation course is designed to run over a single day workshop, as three evening class sessions or as three online webinar sessions plus self-study. Level 1 course provides a good grounding in chocolate tasting and includes tasting of 9 or more different origin or blended fine dark chocolate bars, tasted in different forms for an understanding of aroma, length, texture and taste.
The course finishes with a 30 question multiple choice exam based on the course content. Certificates will be issued upon achieving a pass mark.
- What is fine chocolate
- Train the chocolate senses
- Taste and profile fine chocolate
- The main origins and varieties of cacao
- How cacao is produced
- How chocolate is made
- Recognize flaws in chocolate
- Direct sourcing, sustainability and ethics
- Take away study guide
- Certificate for exam passes
- All the chocolate and sensory samples you will need
This course would be perfect for you if:
- You love chocolate, and want to know more about the craft
- You work in the catering/pastry/fine chocolate industries and want to improve your clients’ experience
- You are considering launching a fine chocolate business
- You want to buy a fascinating and unique gift for someone
- You want to see just how good your palate is for chocolate