The course will be taught in English by IICCT co-founder Dr. Maricel E. Presilla, president of Gran Cacao, a company offering innovative approaches to fine chocolate and cacao, and the foods of Latin America. She is the author of The New Taste of Chocolate: A Cultural and Natural History of Cacao with Recipes (Ten Speed Press), see biography in Partners.
Classes will take place at Garcia Nevett Chocolatiers of Miami, a fine chocolate atelier and shop in the trendy Sunset shopping district in Miami, Florida. Owned and ran by two experienced Venezuelan chocolatiers, Garcia Nevett represents the flowering of fine chocolate confections in South Florida and the place to source outstanding chocolate bars from makers around the world.
The fee for Level 1 includes £35 for registration with our accreditor, FDQ and issue of an official Ofqual (UK Government) approved certificate for the “FDQ Level 1 Foundation Award in Chocolate Tasting”, should you pass the assessment. No reduction is offered in the event of not passing the course and retakes will be charged at £50.
For information about the course and payment methods, contact Dr. Presilla directly by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your enrollment application include full name, ID, gender, date of birth, email address and home address.
Level 1 Chocolate Tasting lays the sensory foundation for your journey as a Chocolate Taster, introduces chocolate making in the fine and craft chocolate world takes you through where cacao comes from and how it is produced.
During the course you will experience the sensory elements used in chocolate tasting through a series of tasting games and experiments and you will practice using a formal approach to chocolate tasting.
The Foundation course is designed to run over a single day workshop, as three evening class sessions or as three online webinar sessions plus self-study. Level 1 course provides a good grounding in chocolate tasting and includes tasting of 9 or more different origin or blended fine dark chocolate bars, tasted in different forms for an understanding of aroma, length, texture and taste. The chocolate tasted includes examples of well made craft chocolate origins and examples of defects and industrial production.
The course finishes with a 30 question multiple choice exam based on the course content. Certificates will be issued upon achieving a pass mark.
- Training the chocolate senses
- Taste and explore flavour in fine chocolate
- Introduction to the origins and varieties of cacao
- Overview of how cacao is produced
- How fine or craft chocolate is made
- How cocoa butter and cocoa powder are made
- Taste and recognize flaws in chocolate
- A look at direct sourcing of cacao
- Study booklet
- Certificate for exam passes
- All the chocolate and sensory samples you will need*
This course will be ideal for you if you:
- Love chocolate, and want to know more about its flavour and origins
- Are a chocolate maker who wants to expand their sensory skills
- Are an educator or events organiser looking for more information to pass on to your audience
- Work in the catering/pastry/fine chocolate industries
- Want to improve your clients’ experience of chocolate you are working with
- You are considering launching a fine chocolate business
- You want to buy a fascinating and unique gift for someone
- You want to see just how good your palate is for chocolate