- 5 to 8 days
- Tue - Sun, 16 - 21 Jul 2019
- 9:00am - 6:00pm
- Peru, Lima and Amazon regions, Peru
Advanced level course in Chocolate Tasting
Our third cacao country Level 3 will be held in Peru and will include classroom and practical work with chocolate makers in Lima and Tarapoto, and incorporates a three-day field trip to the Amazon region, including visits to cacao and chocolate production, indigenous cooperatives and field research stations.
The course price of $3,495 includes hotel accommodation in Lima, lunches, two group evening meals in Lima and all food and hotel accommodation during the Amazon field trip.
Flights and transport to Lima and transfer from the airport to the Lima hotel are not included.
The course will take place directly following the Salon del Cacao y Chocolate in Lima, a public chocolate and cacao show that will also include the Peruvian round of the International Chocolate Awards. Level 3 students can optionally arrive early to Lima and visit the Salon, which takes place 11 – 14 July 2019.
The course will be taught in English and Spanish with separate language groups led by Institute founding partners Martin Christy and Maricel Presilla in groups and collective joint sessions.
Included in the course fee
- Classroom study and tastings
- Visits to several chocolate factories
- Field trip to Amazon cacao regions
- Networking dinner
- Farewell dinner
- Hotels and lunches (hotels from 15 – 22 July)
- All transport, accommodation and food during Amazon field trip
- 15 July – arrive Lima
- 16 July – factory visit and classroom sessions, Lima
- 17-19 July – visit to Amazon region, visit to farmers, projects, coops, chocolate makers
- 20-21 July – classroom session, factory visit and practical learning, exams and assessment
- 22 July – depart Lima
- 5 July – 8 July – Level 1 & 2 Certificate in Chocolate Tasting Courses in Lima
- 11 – 14 July – Salon de Cacao y Chocolate in Lima
Students can arrive in Lima early to attend the Lima Salon, the Peruvian International Chocolate Awards will also be held. Attendance at the Level 1 & 2 courses and accommodation, food and transport during the Level 1 & 2 courses or Salon in Lima is not included in the Level 3 fee.
Level 3 Peru costs $3,495 USD per person and includes hotel accommodation in Lima, lunches, two group evening meals in Lima and all food and hotel accommodation during the Amazon field trip. Travel to and from Lima is not included and is at the students own expense. Due to room rate policies in Lima and Tarapoto, there is no discount for shared double rooms.
Please book using the button link below.
The Level 3 Advanced level course in Chocolate Tasting builds on the Level 1 Foundation and Level 2 Intermediary courses and develops a deeper understanding of chocolate tasting and profiling through advanced sensorial work, following the flavour journey from cacao farming through to chocolate making.
The Advanced course will help you develop an in-depth understanding of the influence of cacao production and chocolate making on the flavour of finished origin chocolate bars, and will include field visits to either cacao farms or chocolate factories and where possible, to both.
The course includes five days of training and tasting, with additional travel time for field trips where required.
- Classroom study and tastings
- Advanced sensorial study, tasting and profiling
- Relating cacao tasting and chocolate flavours
- Cacao production techniques and their effect on flavour
- Cacao varieties, recovery projects, latest research
- Chocolate production styles, recipes and effect on flavour
- Cacao history and development
- The cacao trade and commodity market
- Chocolate market, branding and origin story
- Visit to at least one chocolate factory
- Practical sessions working with chocolate
- Field trips to cacao region for courses held in cacao countries
- Group projects
- Networking events and dinners
Level 2 students wishing to develop their understanding of chocolate taste to a new and cutting edge level and to obtain an advanced grounding in the world of fine chocolate and cacao.